The Trabant was an East German automobile manufactured from 1957 to 1991. During the Communist occupation of Poland, Trabant autos, or "Trabbies", were a common sight. Don't believe the hype: despite the bad reputation that follows these cars, they are actually quite reliable. Even though they are generally run-down and exude a Communist vibe, people waited years to purchase such cars.
The first German car, with a plastic body, delivered 25 horsepower from a modest two-stroke engine, ripping from 0-100 kph in just under 22 seconds! The famous two-stroke Trabant 601 remained in production for almost thirty years, with very few updates. When a new model, the 1100, arrived featuring a 4-cylinder, 4-stroke engine from the VW Polo, it was too late. The factory was close to collapse, thanks to typical Communist mismanagement; the Berlin Wall came down; and in 1991 the Trabant passed into history. They were so cheap that, after better cars became available, Trabants were routinely given away for free and actually used as props on stage during U2's "Achtung Baby" tour.
Our Crazy Trabants are authentic East German automobiles. A journey in one of our Trabants is always a big adventure. These masterpieces of the Communist engineering may occasionally cause us some headaches, but these hiccups are all part of the unique Trabant experience. So be prepared for losing an exhaust pipe, having the heating break down, or a blown spark plug. Pushing the car is one of our most popular adventures, and most of our clients enjoy lending us their muscle power to start up our beloved Trabbie!
The Nysa van was produced in the town of Nysa, Poland, from 1958 until 1994. The basic body variant was a universal van, for cargo or persons, with sliding doors on the right or conventional doors. At the time, the Nysa was practically the only van-size ambulance used in Poland. Many vans were sold to the Militia, which was the only form of police during the Communist era in Poland; the blue Nysa van aka "the Bitch" became a kind of trademark of the Militia.
When Poland became a Democracy again in 1989 the future became bleak for the Nysa. Development work had been minimal for the past 20 years. Most customers, including the Police, chose more modern, faster and safer vans of Western manufacturers, which were widely imported instead. The production was closed in 1994, after manufacturing 380,575 vehicles.
The FSO Polonez is a Polish motor vehicle produced from 1978 to 2002. The name of the car comes from the Polish dance, polonaise. The Polonez is a rebodied Polski Fiat 125p built in Poland under the license from Fiat. On the grey streets of Communist Poland the silhouette of the Polonez car was looked upon with respect. Driven mostly by dignitaries, including even one Polish prime minister, it is better known from films and TV series. It was the “role” of the car of lieutenant Borewicz - a Polish James Bond character - that won Polonez the biggest renown. Today, it is hard to find one in everyday use.
The Fiat 126 is a city car introduced in October 1972 at the Turin Auto Show as a replacement for the Fiat 500. In Italy, the car was produced in the plants of Cassino and Termini Imerese until 1979. However, the car continued to be manufactured by FSM in Poland, where it was produced from 1973 to 2000 as the Polski Fiat 126p.
Its very small size gave it the nickname Maluch ("the small one","small child"). The nickname became so popular that in 1997 it was accepted by the producer as the official name of the car. It was exported to many Eastern Bloc countries and for several years it was one of the most popular cars in Poland and in Hungary as well. The PF 126p has special meaning for Poles and its story had a connection with Polish politics during the Communist period. The PF 126p was supposed to be the first relatively affordable car for ordinary families. The licence was bought after the rise to power of a new Communist party leader, Edward Gierek, who wanted to gain popular favour by increasing consumption after the Spartan period of the 1960s.
Despite the fact that it was a very small city car, it was the only choice for most families, playing the role of a family car. PF 126p production, however, was not sufficient and the PF 126p was distributed through a waiting list. Often families had to wait a couple of years to buy a car. A coupon for a car could also be given by the authorities based on merit.
This popular bus was produced in Poland from 1958 until 1985, and nicknamed the "Cucumber" due to its elongated and somewhat comical appearance. It was manufactured under the license of the Czechoslovakian company, Skoda.
It was an intercity and inner city bus used by public transportation companies in Polish cities and existed in both a shorter and extended version, the latter made of two buses joined as one. In the late 1970s Jelcz buses were slowly replaced by more modern (by East European, Communist standards) units. By the late 1980s the last of the "Cucumbers" sadly disappeared from city landscapes. Our perfectly renovated bus can hold up to 70 people (28 seats) and looks amazing when accompanied by the fleet of our Trabants sailing to Nowa Huta :)